The Centre for Global Health Research (CGHR – http://www.cghr.org/) is a non-profit and non-partisan organization associated with the University of Toronto and St Michael’s Hospital. CGHR’s mission is to lead high-quality public health research that advances global health for all, with particular attention to the world’s poorest populations. Its flagship project, the Million Death Study (MDS), is run in collaboration with the Government of India and documents causes of death across the country.
We are recruiting a skilled and experienced Biostatistician / Demographer. The successful candidate will work on large-scale, globally-relevant, epidemiological projects in a team of multidisciplinary scientists, analysts and trainees in the Toronto, Bangalore and Delhi offices. The successful candidate will also work with project counterparts in international collaborative efforts. This is a renewable 12-month contract position.
The main responsibilities of this position are to update, optimize and maintain in-house and globally accessible mortality datasets, and generate mortality estimates. S/he will also provide statistical expertise in the design, analysis, and reporting of research projects and consultative assistance for ad hoc requests. The successful candidate will collaborate in the preparation of manuscripts, reports, presentations, and grant applications, and is expected to maintain excellent documentation of data management and statistical analysis processes.
- Minimum Masters-level degree in demography, statistics
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience in the area of demographic and statistical analysis
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience working with mortality data with ICD codes/disease classifications
- Excellent knowledge of methods of demographic analysis and mortality estimation
- Working knowledge of developing analytical frameworks using statistical methods and techniques
- Significant experience of successfully and coherently merging data sets of different types (i.e. structured/unstructured, complete/incomplete) and formats
- Knowledge and familiarity in the preparation and linking of large-scale datasets (i.e. linking survey data with census data; linking mortality data with population data)
- Experience with use of geospatial models or multi-level models is an advantage
- Strong programming and analytical skills in one of STATA or R.
- Familiarity working with SAS is an asset
- Knowledge and experience in the use of the complex survey design features in STATA/R to analyze complex surveys such as the DHS, GATS, CCHS, NHIS
- SQL experience in working with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Oracle, MS Access, etc.) is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and do independent work as well as collaborate as a team player
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills and to adapt quickly to changing requirements
- Strong problem solving skills, with ability to derive innovative solutions
- Excellent oral and writing skills
- Detail oriented
- Fluency in English and proficiency in languages other than English are assets
- Interest in health issues of developing countries is required
HOW TO APPLY:
- Applicants should submit a Cover Letter and CV that includes a list of publications, details of past statistical analyses conducted, as well as any experience with large datasets.
- Please submit Cover Letter and CV to: email@example.com.
- Please quote “Biostatistician/ Demographer Position” in the subject line.
Deadline for applications: open until filled.
CGHR thanks all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. CGHR has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.