Position Type: Full Time
Date Ad Posted: 04/17/2018
Job Region: Downtown Toronto
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Years Experience: 2 to 5 years as a Data Manager
Status: 1 Year Full-Time Contract (renewable)
Salary: To Be Negotiated
The Centre for Global Health Research (CGHR) conducts high-quality research that advances global health. Specific emphasis is on large-scale epidemiologic studies in India, Africa, and Latin America, and real-life randomized studies. We are a dynamic group of researchers, based out of the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute (LKSKI), St. Michaels Hospital, Toronto. CGHR is currently seeking an experienced data manager. CGHR has various forms of health data. The Data Manager will support global health research by making these unique data holdings easier to use.
- Assume the role of the data steward/specialist for a range of projects.
- Harmonize the various datasets in use into a common format in a single database.
- Integrate new data sets into the organization’s data holdings.
- Identify and resolve database and analysis issues/problems.
- Create and maintain documentation for all variables, data sets, quality assurance monitoring, and analysis programs.
- Assist in writing scripts in R, Python, Stata, SAS, or other scripting languages for accessing and manipulating data.
- Create ‘clean’ data tables for statistical analysis.
- Develop and implement methods for linking datasets with messy identifiers.
- Create tables, graphs, or written data summaries.
- Design database schemas using best practices for upcoming data collection efforts.
- Jointly develop ‘data access and governance plans’ for data sharing with collaborators.
- BSc/MSc. in biostatistics, geography, epidemiology, or related field.
- Proficient with data management and manipulation of large data sets.
- Prior experience with data management and exposure to relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.), and SQL queries.
- Strong experience wrangling, cleaning, and matching/linking data sets.
- Previous experience in collaborative health research.
- Experience working with health and spatial datasets, including ICD-10 codes, health survey data, census data, official statistics, and other health-related data.
- Knowledge of spatial data.
- Working knowledge of the R statistical programming environment.
- Working knowledge of Stata and/or SAS.
- Exposure to Python.
- Ability and interest in working well both independently and in a collaborative team, using initiative to problem-solve or obtain information in order to complete assignments.
- Familiarity with research design and research regulatory requirements pertaining to human subjects’ protection and data security preferred.
- Ability to communicate data requirements as well as limitations to team members.
- Excellent documentation skills.
- Capability to produce reference documents and to outline work processes in writing.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and adapt to changing priorities while meeting deadlines.
Job Contact Information:
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to: email@example.com by December 27th 2017.
For more information visit http://www.cghr.org